Mittwoch, 30. Juni 2010

Art in Berlin daily life




One of the things I like the most from visiting Berlin is that art is everywhere. I wish I would have a had a camera every time I encountered a painted wall, a sculpture, or simply a musician on the street, but at least, I was able to photograph some images of these bohemian city. I can not recall in which order my artistic encounters happened, but I would like to start with the Berlin wall. When I saw the monument the first time, the one that is close to Check Point Charlie, I was surprised not to see exciting colorful paintings and graffiti; I could only see a piece of a destructed wall that certainly was full of art many years ago. My expectations for the famous Berlin wall went down the drain, but fortunately days later, thanks to Cleo and Yi yi, I learned about the other 20 meters left of Wall. For me, the combination of paintings, graffiti and different styles obviously coming from different artist, represented the city itself. The following is a picture of the wall.


One thing that surprised and that I was not expecting, was that the piece of arts, at least some of them, are changed periodically; for instance, I saw an image of the South Africa World cup that was obviously recent.

On the other hand, I was also able to find many sculptures all over the city. I am sure I missed a lot of other sculpture with the busy scheduled we had, but fortunately I was able to photograph some of them. The first one that I noticed was the one on the picture below. I now found it very unique, compare to the other sculptures I found around the city.

. Some other sculptures that I found were the one in front of the Alexa shopping mall, another two near one of the site visits, and a fourth one in Postdamer Platz. I am not an artistic savvy, but what caught my attention the most was that these four sculptures had something in common; they were all representations of the human body with long and thin extremities.

Now, jumping from street art to a more sophisticated art, I am very sad and almost ashamed to say that I was not able to visit one of the sites that Berlin is famous for the most: Museum Island. Before coming to city, I read all about the 150 museums and galleries that the island had. I even made a list of the few museums I wanted to visit. Well, at least I was able to see the island from the boat tour. Next time I visit Berlin, which I hope will be some time in the near future, Museum Island will be the first place I visit!

Key terms:

- Berlin Wall is a representation of the street art of the city

- Similar sculptures can be seen around the city

- Berlin famous not only for its street art, but also for Museum Island

1 Kommentar:

  1. I didn't get to go to Mueseum Island either! Thursday nights was free admission for students such as ourselves. I wish I would have made it to a museum -- they all seemed great. As for the art, that's nice you got to go see the 20 meters left of the wall. I didn't get a chance to go there but that's great you went! Had I gone to a museum it would have given me a different perspective of art in Berlin. A large percentage of the art I was exposed to was pure street art -- mainly grafitti. Most of the graffitti was really great though. I was suprised that there really was so much of it. Anyway, kudos for going to see the wall!

    AntwortenLöschen