Montag, 5. Juli 2010

Social Campaign in Berlin

Finding a social or political campaign in Berlin was no piece of cake. Although we did a lot of walking, I was not able to easily identify a social campaign, which was mostly what I was looking for more than political campaigns. I was able to find huge H&M, IPAD and Oakley campaigns around the city--at least in the places that we moved around, but nothing that looked like a campaign concerning specific social problems. Maybe I did come across with more than one social or even political campaigns, however, because most advertisements were in German, I was not able to recognize them clearly.
One day while in the train, I saw what looked like a campaign for breast cancer prevention; however, after starring at it for a while, I came to the conclusion that it was actually an advertisement for plastic surgery. At this time, my hopes for finding a social campaign in Berlin almost disappeared. I kept seeing H&M, IPAD, Oakley and even PayPal in the busiest train stations and “platzs.”
It was not until the end of the second week that I was able to find a social campaign’s message. If it wasn’t for the help of Professor Villar’s daughter, Adriana, I would not have found it. We were walking next to the Berlin wall, trying to find this “number 25” bar to watch one of the World Cup games. There were a lot of graffiti and paintings on the wall, however, as we got closer to the place, the Berlin wall ended. That was when I found the social campaign message. I looked at the poster and it looked quite different; it was definitively not selling something and it was a very simple design. The background was white and on top, it had a message in German. In the middle, there was an image that looked liked hand-painted red heart with an eye in the middle. There was also the number 112 on the left side, a website below it, and at the bottom right corner, the association’s name. It was an campaign for the hear association in Germany. A picture says more than a thousand words, here is the picture!




Key terms:
1. It was not easy to find a social/political campaign in Berlin
2. Because most ads are in german, I may have come across other campaigns but was unable to identify them
3. The one social campaign I was able to find was the German Heart Association

1 Kommentar:

  1. Diana, I can totally picture your reaction when you found out the breast cancer ad that really for plastic surgery! That was my same problem, since the ads were in German it was hard for me to identify what was a social campaign and what wasn't. Thankfully I came across a very obvious social campaign about drinking alchol so I lucked out -- otherwise I don't know what I would have done. Do you know what that ad literaly translates into? It seems Berlin takes a different approach to a social campaign than in the U.S. I think. At least, that's what I gathered from the alchol campaign I had chosen. It wasn't a simple don't drink and drive ad -- it was much more than that. Anyway, glad you had Adri near by!

    AntwortenLöschen